Saturday, December 5, 2009

Why do married people stay together?

There's this guy at my work, Kevin, who said something interesting the other day. We were talking about relationships. Now, youhave to understand that he is divorced and somwhat not over it. Anyway, he was talking about how he doesn't know why people get married, let alone stay together. I asked him why he felt that way and he said, "well I just keep thinking, how do they not annoy the crap out of each other?"

That comment has been stuck in my head for the last couple of days. How is it that, after the twitterpated stage, people stay together and don't annoy each other to the point where they just want to get away, and then their relationship crumbles?

Eventually, I figured it out. If you marry your friend-your best friend- with whom you want to do just about everything with, and can talk to about anything, then you will be fine. They will be the person that instead of wanting to avoid, you will think of first and you will want to tell about your day and therefore your life.

For our wedding, Josh and I chose the phrase "On this day, I married my friend" to go on our glasses. I think it is very appropriate. I hope that I can always keep my relationship alive in that sense. I hope that I can always be married to MY best friend, because I think that its that, that I think makes the difference between "can't stand to be around them" and "where are they? I have something to tell them."

2 comments:

mary h said...

I absolutely agree! Although there are still days when we drive each other crazy and need to go to our separate corners, for the most part we love just spending time together. We are not always doing the same thing or having deep discussions but it is always "comfortable". In addition, I know that when times get tough, the world is mean, we are always there for each other, a soft place to land. I know that Jody is the one person that will always be there for me, not matter what and I for him. I am blessed.

Anonymous said...

I married my best friend 35+ years ago, sometimes he annoys the crap out of me. That's when I know that I have been spending to much time with kids, grand kids, friends, and not enough time with him. I absolutely adore my husband, he still makes me tingle inside when I see him. A great marriage is the most work you will have but nothing else, not even your children are more worth it.