Monday, April 19, 2010

Layton Competition at North Ridge High

Tiffany's first solo competition was a new experience for both Tiffy and I since she has never done one. She was supposed to perform Friday night but at last minute (for some unknown reason) they bumped the mini and Juniors to Saturday morning. Actually, since we weren't competing as a team on Saturday, it worked out even better. Josh had a photo shoot in Ogden for a catalog in the morning on Friday. So, I kept Tiffy home from school and we packed everything up and got everything ready together. We also worked on her double pirouette and guess what? She nailed it! She was SOO excited. She couldn't believe it! She was almost crying she was so excited. She was "Oh my gosh! I did it! Mom! I did it!" I was SO glad that I had been watching her when she did her very first double and it perfect! Beautiful techique and form. It's those few first's that you get to see that make you just smile with pride for your child. We kept working on it for a bit until she was able to do 5 in a row. After, we drove up to Layton and met Josh up there.

Unfortunately, in all the rush of trying to get there early and get everything packed by myself, I forgot Tiff's costume. I realized this as I'm walking into the hotel and about freaked. I mean come on, its not I live close to Layton. Ugh! Thanksfully, Josh said he would drive all the way back home to go get it. While Josh made the long drive back, I took Tiffy to the pool and then we got back and chilled for a while while josh was gone. Tiffy always finds a hotel stay super fun. We both had fun playing in the pool and chilling. So, it wasn't too bad- for us. Poor Josh got stuck in traffic from Friday afternoon + construction. Not fun for him.




When Josh got back, we went to dinner. nothing major, but still fun to actually all get to hang out together. We went back to the hotel and went to bed since we had to get up VERY early the next morning for comp.

We got up and got ready the next day. Had some breakfast. It was funny to see how many people from competition were at the hotel and up and about at such an un-natural hour. After we ate, we ran to maverick to get some rockstars (very important caffeine staple for me- LOL!) and went to an ATM for cash (since they never take CC's or checks) and then ran over to the school for the competition to be checked in.

After Janica checked us in, Josh went to save seats and I worked with Tiffy to practice her routine before her comp time. She was so nervous that she almost started crying because she didn't want to mess up. I told her to have fun with it and remember hy she chose to do this. It seemed to help her calm down and remind her that at the end of the day, she does this because she loves it. I also reminded her to have fun and that I know that she will do great. We took a couple of pictures to help take her mind off of things.








A few minutes before she was on, Jocelyn came by and got her. I went and sat down to watch her. When Tiffy came on, both Josh and I were SOOO nervous for her. She made a couple mistakes (but Janica said no oine could tell since they didn't know the routine) and for some reason changed her roundoff to a 1 handed roundoff at last minute and then fell. She got right back up and kept going though. Overall, she did really well and was right on technically. The most important part was that she was proud of herself. I wasn't sure how she would be judged since she fell, but figured since she did well technically and had great showmanship, she would probably be okay.

After that, we went to brunch with my parents. They missed her performance, but decided since they were going to be in the area, they would have a bite to eat with us. They are always late, so I didn't bother to tell Tiff they would be there since I figured they would miss her performance time. And I was right. At least they came for something though, so that's good. They decided to go on a drive instead of watching her awards ceremony.

After brunch, we went back for the awards ceremony where she took Queen which is the highest you can take in the category. I was SO excited and proud of her at that point. She was SOOO excited and couldn't believe it. She got a big trophy and a tiara. She didn't get the high point award, but she was okay with it since we planned on this just being a "rehearsal" for the next competition anyway. She really wants it for the next comp though. We took a lot of cute pictures and then went on home.








We were so tired when we got home, but there was no time to chill. I had plans for Bunco that night. So, I unpacked and then went to Bunco- which is always a ton of fun. We did sleep in the next day though. Lol!

No comments: