Thursday, December 4, 2008

Kids have no clue sometimes...

I had to go to the DMV yesterday to register my Jeep. So, we get there and are paying and whatnot and the girl at the counter looks at Tiffany and says, "you are a very pretty girl!" So, what does Tiffy say in return? Not "thank you" or anything like that. No. She says, "yes, everybody says that." And I'm standing there going "Oh My Gosh!" in my head. I had to sort of laugh cause its funny in a way, but so not in another. So, as we're walking out, she turns to me and says, "how come everyone says that?" . So, we had to have a conversation about things people say and how to react and what not to say and how the appropriate response is "Thank you."

I forget sometimes how blunt children are and can be. They haven't learned tact yet. I remember being asked things that I know that people wanted a certain response but since I was taught not to lie, I gave them the absolute blunt truth and then they would get mad at me for the answers they got. Its hard to be mad, because tact is not the easiest thing to learn. I suppose only time can really teach it. Either way, I thought it was kind of a funny story.

No comments: