Sunday, May 11, 2008

Josh had a thought....

So I wanted to think of something intelectual to say on my first blog, however, it looks like this is just my thoughts. yesterday was a hectic day at work. It was really busy for Mother's Day plus it was a Saturday and so we were slammed. It's not rare to be doubled up with customers. Well, one of the guys was visiting with his girlfriend and not working as he was supposed to. It really upset me to see him doing this. Well the Regional manager also saw it and so we had to have a 'sit down' with him and go over this. It was my job to discuss the inappropriate behavior of spending time with his girlfriend and not helping customers. Well the hard part was that his is/was a peer as I have just been recently been promoted to the assistant store manager. Well, it was kind of a crossroads for me. I had to realize that I am no longer his peer and am now his supervisor. I can't care what they think of me. I am only responsible for the success of the store. If they get too comfortable with their position and start slacking off, then it is my responsibility to straighten them up or they can essentially find a new job that they care about. The crossroads was I really didn't care about his personal opinion about me, cause it's not in my best interest to do so. Does it sound bad? I really don't care. I care about my success and the ability to do my job well and fulfill MY responsibilities.

-Josh

p.s. Angela, stop laughing... LOL!

1 comment:

Angela said...

I am not laughing.. at least not until I read that part. It is very hard making that transition and maintaining it. Good Luck I bet you are a great manager