Tuesday, May 13, 2008

You do what you have to do ...

I was sitting on the porch swing the yesterday and Tiffy was sitting outside on the sidewalk in her little chair just reading her books. She saw a girl that we know and said hi. The girl ignored her. Tiffy said it again, and again she was ignored-only this time the girl went inside her house. A few minutes later a boy we know came down the sidewalk and Tiffy said hi, he walked right past her and ignored her. She said hi again, and again she was ignored. Tiffy didn't say anything, but it really bothered me. I don't know if it bothered her or if she even questioned it. I truly hope not. Its one thing to have to pay for things that aren't your fault because of a circumstance and something you did. Its another thing to have others (especially your child) pay for it when they had nothing to do with it. It is situations like this that makes my position in this situation really hard. I understand why things have to be this way, but no matter what, I still have that parental instinct in me that just gets plain pissed off because of it. I won't do or say anything because it wouldn't do any good and because it is pointless, and so that is why I am writting it down-to vent. I sit here and I think of why I did what I did...and the fact is, it just wasn't about certain people. Some people have to be protected no matter what: whether the parents want it, whether the kids want it, and whether the neightborhood wants it. I am truly sorry that the situation is hard for people, but the fact remains, that we did not cause the problem. What we did may have brought it to light and made them deal with it, but we didn't cause it. So, I will hope and pray that Tiffy has no idea of the drama that is going on right in front of her face and hope that she isn't hurt in any respect by it.

I have posted this video for 2 reasons: a- it explains why we did what we did and why I wouldn't change what we did no matter what, and b- because this is a sad video that I have never been able to get out of my mind and it is a big reminder of the things that happen when people turn their heads to the reality of life and look away. We should all hope to have the courage to do what is right regardless of how hard it is. I suppose that's what's called integrity; though the fact is, it just plain sucks sometimes.

1 comment:

Angela said...

Okay, thanks for the good cry. That video is as touching as you said it was. It is so sad that that very situation takes place in millions of homes each day. Too often people don't do the right thing. That breaks my heart about Tiffany and what is being done to her. It is not right. I can imagine how hard that is for you as a mother to watch that. You made the right decision.